Valvoline MTL, etc

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Valvoline MTL, etc
From: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 17:03:29 -0500
Cc: Rivergate@compuserve.com
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Help, you guyz,

I just hit about five auto-parts stores (including, but not
limited to, Parts America and Advance) looking for
Valvoline MTL. No dice!  I can find:

        Unilube Synthetic (75W90)
        Halvoline Hypoid oil (75W90)
        Valvoline Hypoind oil (75W90 and 85W140)
        Coastal Hypoid oil (various viscocities)

Do y'all think the Unilube is ok?  Or am I better off
with the non-synthetic Valvoline?

Honestly, how important is Valvoline Synthetic (or Red Line,
or Whatever) in a '79 Datsun 5-speed in a '72 MG Midget
that will likely stay in the immediate vicinity, not go
over 55-60 MPH, and be driven under non-severe conditions?

I mean, I'm no longer heal-toeing my way thru the chicane at Thomson
Motor Speedway or Limerock. This is a cheap, fun, pleasure
car after all.   What's the synthetic stuff gonna buy me that
the hypoid gear lube I use in my garden tiller won't do as well?

If I really do need it, I'll extend my search via telephone.
But what's more important: Synthetic? 90W viscosity? Brand
name like Valvoline?

It's Cocktail Time. I'm done thinking about this for today.

Later,

chuck

chuck ciaffone chuckc@ibm.net