rear axle

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: rear axle
From: bobchamb@southwind.net
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 01:11:26 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
OK, as I understand it, there are two different rear axle housings and the
axle shafts themselves are different between wire and solid wheel cars?Even
so, one can convert from solid wheel to wire wheel by swapping axle shafts
only? The PO of my Bugeye put wire wheels on and I am wondering if the
housing was switched also. One reason I need this information is to be sure
the switch was done correctly and the other reason is I was trying to use
the axle serial # to identify the car's origin.Also, on the wire wheel
assembly, is the splined hub just a press fit onto the axle? If so, what
force would be needed to separate?Home job or machine shop? As I see it,
this union could not be taken apart and re-assembled too many times before
the fit would be bad. If the size of the housings are different, --just what
are the measurments so I can identify what I have?