Re: Rumors and bans....

To: b-evans@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Rumors and bans....
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 16:24:48 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Thumbs up to Bob for actually investigating and not just whining to other
enthusiasts (who share my beliefs anyway) like I did.

That (existing) law is some strong tobacco, though.  I hope they don't
enforce it but in extreme cases (Suzuki Samurai with huge tires and
home-made body lift.  I saw it in Alabama.  The guy was working extremely
hard at his pink Grant steering wheel just to go STRAIGHT at 40mph!)

Ulix

On Fri, 2 Jan 1998 b-evans@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> Ah, as I suspected, this rumor was much ado about nothing.  After Amy
> gave me the references, I was able to find the proposed legislation.  In
> reality, all it does is amend EXISTING law in Colorado to bring it into
> conformance with 32-year old Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act of
> 1966 that already applies to ALL states (in California, it is Vehicle
> Code Sections 12002, 24010(a)(2), and 26103(b)).
>
> If you can wade through the legal language, the existing law, Colorado
> Revised Statutes 1.42-4-233 (1), reads:
>
>      > ...with either the rear or front suspension system altered
>      > or changed from the manufacturer's original design except
>      > in accordance with specifications permitting such alteration
>      > established by the department. Nothing contained in this
>      > section shall prevent the installation of manufactured heavy
>      > duty equipment to include shock absorbers and overload
>      > springs...
>
> This existing statute would be amended to read:
>
>       ...if the motor vehicle configuration has been altered from
>       the specifications established by the manufacturer in compliance
>       with the federal "National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety
>       Act of 1966", 49 U.S.C. sec. 30101 et seq., and regulations
>       promulgated pursuant to such federal act. Vehicle alterations
>       governed by this section include, but are not limited to,
>       alterations to a motor vehicle's front or rear suspension
>       system, tire or wheel size, body height, chassis configuration,
>       or steering system.
>
> Again, close reading of the proposed amendment makes it clear that
> Colorado simply making it codifying the fact that its law is  following
> the Federal legislation.  The part referring to tires, body height,
> chassis, and sterring is merely explanatory of the scope of the Federal
> act, and does not introduce any new onerous or odious  dumb as dog dirt
> governmental regulation.
>
> Bob Evans
> Anaheim, California

                                                           '67 Sprite