Question: A-Arms

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Question: A-Arms
From: CMLove <cmlove@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 15:19:34 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello list;

I have been tearing down the front end of my 74 midget and it was in
really bad shape.  I think I will have to replace the left A-arm, but
before I do, I have to ask a question.

On the outer, under side of the trunnion pin there is what I thought at
first was a huge crack in the outer edge, or lip of the A-arm.  After
lurking on the list for a long time, I thought it was a crack from the
trunnion pin and thought the A-arm was ruined.

So, I went to my 72 parts car and started to remove the A-arm on it and
guess what...I found almost the exact same damage on it also.  It
appears now after closer look that the arm has maybe been hit by some
object or the car ran over something and it tore the lip of the A-arm.

Is this repairable?  Have I described the damage properly to determine?
I was wondering if this damage could be straightened and welded?

Should I just go ahead a find a good replacement?  Comments...Please...

Thanks,

Monty