Re: Camshafts

To: Guy Weller <GuyWeller@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Camshafts
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 17:54:54 -0500
Cc: spridgets list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Guy Weller wrote:

> Anyone got any advice about 1275 camshafts
>
> Need to replace mine and wondered about fitting a modified camshaft.
> Just for road use, not too much traffic, and I do like to "press on a bit"
>
> Various cams are refered to as FAST ROAD or ROAD / RALLY  cams.
>
> Any comments please ?
>
> Guy

Guy

I have a few cars with various cams.
Stock is fine although stock is just stock.
Road is nice, perfect for regular driving with a nice "kick" to it.
Rally is a bittoo much for everyday driving, power comes off the cam at higher
rpms.
Idle is a bit lumpy, and that's at about 1500 rpms, it won't idle below that.
Race (like my sons Mini) is too radical (try telling that to an 18 year old) It
will not idle below 2,000 rpms, needs mega carbueretor, headers, and a good
supply
of spark plugs 'cause they foul often just riding around town. Goes like hell
though!

For your car, I recommend a road cam. You probably won't be happy with anything
more aggressive unless you plan on racing more then cruising.

--
Frank Clarici
Too many Sprites