The halcyon days...

To: Jeff Habberfield <jeffh@colba.net>
Subject: The halcyon days...
From: b-evans@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:41:50 -0800
Cc: healeys@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Most of the guys on this line unfortunely have never experienced the real
> Healey days as you describe, that was the haydays when the cars were used as
> they shoul

Ah, yes, Jeff, the early '60s were the halcyon days for sports car
owning and driving.  Those were the days....

--when as a young enlisted sailor I could get the Navy to close down the
Memphis Naval Air Station in 1962 for a weekend of autocrossing around
the runways.

--when in 1963 I could afford to go sports car racing in Stuttgart,
Arkansas, rubbing friendly elbows with Jim Hall and Dr. Dick Thompson in
the next pit.

--when I could use the same Frogeye Sprite that I drove daily for
racing, autocrossing, gymkanas, and rallys around Tennessee lakes and in
farmer's pastures.

--when in the middle of a 10,000 mile trip around the country in 1963, I
could pull off the highway in Silver Spring, Maryland, and enter a
shopping center gymkana.  And take second place with my boot stuffed
with all of my worldly belongings and the spare tire tied on the top of
the back end.  (I had to get back on the road again, and they never DID
send me my trophy or dash plaque!)

--when you could buy parts for your Frogeye in the Sears catalog or from
J.C. Whitney.

--when "imported car" had nothing to do with Japan.

--when "concours" meant absolutely nothing to Frogeye drivers.  Their
cars weren't OLD enough to be "concours".

There is an old song that sums it up:  "Those were the days, my friend,
we thought they'd never end...."  Pity that they did.

Bob Evans
Anaheim, California
Frogeyes AN 5L/762,  AN 5L/6893