948/Datsun 5-Speed

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 948/Datsun 5-Speed
From: "Larry and Sandi Miller" <millerls@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 08:03:07 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi All

Has anyone on the list actually installed the Datsun 5-Speed with a 948? In
addition to it not working with the rear main oil seal kit, I cannot get the
required clearance between the release bearing and the bearing surface on
the pressure plate. Bill Perry at Rivergate did the machine work for me and
there is nothing left to remove from the bearing carrier and the release
arm.  I purchased a "New" vice "Rebuilt" pressure plate on Bills advice but
the clearance is exactly the same as with a rebuilt plate. I am
contemplating the removal of 1/8 inch from the already lightened flywheel in
order to get the required clearance. Anyone else have this problem?  Also
had to purchase a new oil pump cover for a Mini/1275 ($30) because the
original from the 948 would not fit.  Seems like the 948 was not meant to
have a 5-Speed.

My advice for anyone contemplating this conversion is don't do it with a
948.

Larry Miller (millerls@msn.com)
59 Bugeye (Under Construction)
60 Bugeye (Undergoing 5-Speed Transplant)
78 911 SC (Faster than a Bugeye but not as much fun)