Re: 948 vs 1275 and the DMV

To: "Christopher Palmer" <ctp@gbn.org>, <healeys@Autox.Team.Net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>, <british-cars@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 948 vs 1275 and the DMV
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 20:49:31 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The Calif smog checkers always check the VIN number, and never note the
engine number (and, moreover, since it's not on the registration they have
nothing to verify it against).  Their computers do, however, list the smog
equipment that they should check for for that car in that model year.

Things are changing rapidly in Calif smog law these days, so this may not
be the last word.  To illustrate changing times, in recent months your smog
test at the local garage is on-line with the DMV computer.  Fail your smog
test at the local garage enough times, and they cannot retest you, but must
refer you to a DMV office.  At that point, you might encounter just about
any level of inspection.

Daryl

british-cars@autox.team.net