Re: galling/neverseize

To: "Shawn J. Tobin" <tobisj@aud.alcatel.com>
Subject: Re: galling/neverseize
From: Ron Soave <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 20:29:44 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Shawn
> novice

You're not a novice - I was on an Air Force base recently where I told a
maintenance team on a VERY expensive aircraft to lubricate some threads
to prevent galling, and not one knew what it was.  It's sort of a
tearing of metal by another metal due to hardness/strength mismatch,
excessive pressure/tightening or a lack of lubrication.  Really good
fasteners come with lubricants or coatings on them to prevent it from
happening.  It's sort of a reverse of thread stripping.

Anti-Seize (same as neverseize) is made by Permatex (the good folks who
brought you Loctite).  It's Permatex number 133A, and I buy mine at Pep
Boys.  A tube lasts a while.

Ron