Re: More on Hubs

To: Chas Douglass <chasd@halcyon.com>
Subject: Re: More on Hubs
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:31:25 -0500
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chas Douglass wrote:

> Thanks for the responses on hubs for my '60 Sprite, I'm following up a
> couple of leads now.
>
> On reading the manual, however, I see that new bearings must be
> "pressed" into the hub.  Can someone help a poor programmer that happens
> to be working on a car -- what does it take to press the bearings in?  A
> bench vise?  A hammer?  A $100,000 machine shop?

A suitable drift...In other words the correct size socket to fit the bearings
and
races and a good size hammer. Although the $100,000 machine would probably be
better and quicker, both tools do the same thing.

> If I find hubs that still have bearings in place, should I just use
> them?  Do the front bearings wear out?

They would still need to be re-packed with grease.
Front bearings are either good or bad, not much of an "inbetween"
And new bearing seals would be a must on any parts from a different car.
(they should be replaced when repacking the bearings anyway)

--
Frank Clarici
Too many Sprites