Re[3]: Fasteners!!!!

To: <SPRIDGETS@Autox.Team.Net>, <john.kahoon@pcohio.com>
Subject: Re[3]: Fasteners!!!!
From: "Hal Cummings"<halc@sequoia.genauto.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 98 09:56:03 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     John, you make good points.  This is why man invented different alloys
     and manufacturing processes for nuts and bolts.

     If you look at the suspension components in a car such as our
     spridgets, you will see that they are either purpose built (fulcrum
     pins, special washers, etc.) or SAE graded hardware.  I found no
     "ungraded" or mild steel fasteners on any part of the suspension on my
     car, and she was a virgin when I got her.  Even the seat slide rail
     mounting bolts were grade 8s.  So were the bolts attaching the
     radiator and shroud assemblies to the front end, valance to fenders,
     etc. if memory serves me correct.

     I'm sure that I'm preaching to the choir here, but don't screw around
     with this stuff.  Match the hardware you replace with equivalent grade
     components. If you intend to reuse hardware, clean it first and save a
     lot of trouble.  Look at the hardware.  If it has been abused, the
     threads will often be distorted.  Throw it away before it hurts you.
     Check with a thread gauge.  Clean rusty fasteners by soaking in
     vinegar, rinse, dry and brief application of the old wire wheel.

     Run a tap through nuts and threaded holes.  I know it takes time, but
     it makes life so much easier, especially after a respray.  Clean
     mating surfaces (perhaps I should rephrase that bit) are critical to
     proper tightening of fasteners.  If you lube them, the correct torque
     value changes.  If they are full of debris, the correct torque will
     likely snap them.

     Never reuse nyloc nuts. Use the proper torque to tighten stuff up.  Be
     safe!

     My opinions, anyway; and you know what they say about that!

     Hal