External Bugeye Trunk

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: External Bugeye Trunk
From: "Larry and Sandi Miller" <millerls@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 14:38:31 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi All

On page 92 of John Sprinzels' book "Spritely Years" there is a picture of a
Sebring Sprite. It's supposedly the famous PMO 200 but you can't see the
actual registration # in the picture because of the smoke from the broken
crankshaft. This car appears to have an external trunk lid. Nowhere in the
book does it ever mention the addition of an external lid to any Bugeye.  I
also have a picture taken at Laguna Seca a few years ago of a Bugeye owned
by a member of the old Smog group. The car has the California plate "BUGEYE"
and the license frame has "Whiskey Charley's 59 Sprite". The car has massive
flares, and an external trunk lid. I remember the trunk lid as being a very
high quality job. I checked the car numerous times during the day but never
caught up with the owner.  I had forgotten about the car until I saw the
picture in the "Spritely Years".  My question is: Does anyone on the list
know of this car or of any other Bugeye with this conversion?. I'd really
like to know if they used a trunk clip from a production car or if this was
completely hand formed.  If hand formed I'd sure like to know the body man
that did the work.

P.S. If anyone wants to see the picture let me know and I will send it too
your private eMail.

Thanks

Larry Miller