Pilot bushing removal

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Pilot bushing removal
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:31:12 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
For those interested I just pulled out the engine for a 3rd time!
This time to trash it and replace it with a different unit.
I picked up a seized engine from a buddy this morning. We dis-assembled it
at his house, all parts loaded in the truck got a quick high pressure wash
at the quarter car wash. A quick shot of Super Clean at home and a rinse
with the garden hose. Painted most paerts green except block since that
needs work.
Removed engine from yellow Bugeye (by hand alone this time) dismembered
it(I need the new timing chain and gears) removed the pistons too.
I found an easy way to remove a pilot bushing.....Pack it with axle grease,
insert the handle from a 1/4" drive ratchet wrench (mine is a Husky) it
make a suitable drift as the manual says, lightly tap it with a small
hammer and the pilot bushing jumped right out in perfect shape.

If the paint would dry it would be running by now. maybe tomorrow.

The leak in the engine was still coming out of the back of the crank shaft,
I still have no idea why. Anybody want a "haunted" super leaky 1275? Its
full of oil and isn't worth a cleaning to put it in a box.
If you want it, come get it! (no head, pistons, or cam) new cam bearings
though, only 60 miles after rebuild.
--
Frank Clarici
Seeing all of you at Sprite Rush 98