Re: Front Hubs

To: Deikis@aol.com
Subject: Re: Front Hubs
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 22:03:23 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 29 Jan 1998 Deikis@aol.com wrote:

> I've rebuilt the front end on my '68 Midget.  I replaced one inner bearing
> that got  butchered in the removal and a new inner seal (a kind I had never
> seen--has a metal skirt around the side where you usually can see the seal and
> spring).  I greased the  hub and drifted in the bearing and seal with the
> spacer, like usual, "offered it up" to the axel stub, and "pushed" on using
> the force of the axel nut.  It went on pretty easily, but definitely could not
> be pushed on by hand.  I tightened the nut, aligned the hole with a castle
> slot and....well, the hub's too tight!  The "tightness" is consistent around
> all 360 degrees, but it takes two hands on the hub to turn it. Could the
> grease seal be doing this?  I didn't have a socket to properly torque the nut,
> but I think the manual calls for 40 ft/lbs and I gave it about 40 on a box
> wrench using the "elbow torque wrench method."  Any ideas?

No answer from me, but a related question:
After installing new front bearings, one side still has a little play.
Can I eliminate this by taking a little off the spacer or is that a no-no?

> While I'm bothering you, another question:  I plan to vintage race this car
> and have installed shim plates under the shocks to give me more negative
> camber.  The plates look to be a but 3/8 thick.  I used standard offset
> polyurethane upper bushings, but have a set of "negative camber offset"
> bushings as well.  Should I use them, or will the spacers give me what I'm
> looking for. I don't want to be so knock-kneed on the track that my braking is
> compromised.  Advice of any vintage racing sages out there?

John,
I installed shims under the shocks and they didn't do anything for me.
I installed Winner's Circle offset trunnion bushings and am still way off
my target of 1 to 2 degrees of negative camber.
My guess is you'll need the offset trunnion bushings and maybe the offset
A-arm bushings too.

                                                           '67 Sprite