Re: mineral vs methylated spirits

To: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: mineral vs methylated spirits
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 00:06:03 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>They are not the same.  Mineral spirits are like paint thinner, I think,
>transparent stuff.  Methylated spirits are pink in color, and are thinner -
>used in lighters and as a medical cleansing agent.
>
>I may be wrong with some of the details.  Heck I may even be totally wrong!
>
>Daryl

Daryl,

You are correct. According to Joe Way (Sierra Speciality Automotive),
mineral spirits are petroleum based and should not be used on brake parts.
He suggests brake fluid or alcohol. As I've already cleaned my parts in
mineral spirits, I am now drying them thoroughly in front of a room heater
and will soak them in two changes of brake fluid. The really bad news is
that the cast iron soaks up the mineral spirits, so I've got to leech them
out.

thanks for the reply,

Jeff

Jeff Boatright