Re: What does this mean?

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What does this mean?
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 20:33:05 -500
Comments: Authenticated sender is <rwg1@postoffice2.mail.cornell.edu>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On  8 Feb 98 at 15:07, Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> I had the axles out this weekend and installed new seals.
> On the right, the hub nut is tightened such that about one or two threads
> are visible out of the nut - looks good.
> On the left, the hub nut is only on a couple of turns, no threads
> protrude, and then the nut is WELDED ON!! @$%#@^%
> The brg. has (of course) significant play on that side.  I wonder what
> caused the DPO or probably his "mechanic" to do this?

As it's a left hand thread, somone probably turned it the wrong way, stripped
things, and welded it to hold it together... I'd start looking for a new axle
casing.

  The Wayward Sports Car Centre"  \__________               __________/
  http://www.team.net/wayward       \________ AUSTIN-HEALEY ________/