Re: 1500 Midget questions

To: "Nolan, Michael F." <Michael_Nolan@cuusa.com>
Subject: Re: 1500 Midget questions
From: Eric Mumford <mumford@rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 1998 13:39:44 -0500
Cc: "'spridge'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> on the RB Midget, they have the idiot lights!! An oil thermostat ??

Mike -

The "idiot lights" and the oil thermostat don't have as much of a direct
relationship as you think they do.  The oil thermostat is used for when
the oil is too COLD, not too hot.  The thermostat takes the cooler out
of the oil circulation loop until the oil temperature reaches the
operating point.  At that time, the thermostat opens up and allows the
oil to flow through the cooler.

The dummy lights, as you know, just tell you when you dont have enough
oil pressure.  Having or not having a thermostat won't affect your oil
presure that greatly.

In my climate, reaching operating temperature isn't a problem, so I
don't use a thermostat.

eric

 __.o,\____  *       Eric Mumford          *   ('v')  -> BA-KUK!
/__ \ /  _ ) *      mumford@rpi.edu        *  ((   ))