Re: My .02 on Front Wheel Bearings

To: "Richard L. Bergstrom" <ric_bergstrom@juno.com>
Subject: Re: My .02 on Front Wheel Bearings
From: Dave Trainor <davet@choice.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 21:20:09 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Richard L. Bergstrom wrote:

> This thread has got me concerned.
>
> I have the tapered rollers without spacers.  I really am concerned as it
> makes sense that the spindle will be stronger with the inner races and
> the spacer combining to strengthen it.
>
> Does anyone race with the tapered rollers and no spacer?  That would be a
> great test of strength.
>
> I really need to pull the hubs and crack test the spindle.  I am sure big
> tires and more HP have stressed them.
>
> Anyone have any failures??
>
> Ric Bergstrom,  Richmond,  VA

Ric,
   The moment of force in the system is taken by the base of the axle
itself wether or not you are using the spacer. It does not increase the
diameter of the axle where it is mounted to the spindle and this is
where all forces are taken. I am by no means an expert on this but I
work with a bunch of expert mechanical design engineers and that was the
answer I got from several was that from the diagram I drew the spacer
between bearings did nothing to increase axle strength and that in the
event of bearing failure the tapered rollers would be much safer.
Mabye some of the experts here will disagree ?  I am always ready to
learn something and since I used the tapered rollers and no spacer in my
front end.......

Dave Trainor
davet@choice.net