rack and pinion steering...

To: "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: rack and pinion steering...
From: CMLove <cmlove@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 11:50:55 -0600
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello everyone;

Does anyone have the time to help me understand some of the finer points
of rebuilding the rack and pinion steering on a '74 Midget?

I have one out of the car and it is very stiff.  I want to take it apart
but I have never done this before and I am wondering if there are any
gotchas to worry about.

Also, I don't understand the term 'BACKLASH' which is reference in the
Haynes manual.  It tells to measure for backlash and adjust accordingly.
I don't understand....

Also, it seems very tight unless the large nut holding the pinion? is
very loose.  Is this a problem?  How easy should it be to move the rack
when it is out of the car?

Please help...

Thanks,

Monty