Number 1 Died!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Number 1 Died!
From: Chuck Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998 09:00:46 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Help!

While out driving yesterday, probably pushing
this old 1275 a little too much, we lost Number
1 cylinder, and had to limp home on 3.

Back in the garage, I left the engine running and
removed each plug wire. No change when I pulled number
1. Engine slowed measurably when I pulled each of the
other 3.

Swapped plugs between 2 and 1.  Still number 1 failing.

Swapped wires between 1 and 2. Still number 1 failing.

Cleaned the inside of the cap and re-screwed all 4 wires.
Number 1 still failing.

When I pull the blug, leave it connected, and ground the
plug threads, I get no spark across the gap.

When I remove the plug from the connector, and hold the
end of the wire near a ground, I get a very small, weak
spark.

Should I try a new cap?

BTW, Just t'other day I installed a new distributor.

Any suggestions?

chuck

chuck ciaffone chuckc@ibm.net