List Advice

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: List Advice
From: "Larry and Sandi Miller" <millerls@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 08:18:36 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>From the response to "Screwed The Pooch" it would appear that I am in the
minority when it comes to installing the engine and transmission as a unit.
At one time I used to remove/install separate. I stopped after an
installation one time back in the 60's where I put to much side pressure on
the transmission input shaft and destroyed the close fit between the shaft
and the front plate of the transmission. Of course I did not know I had
destroyed it until I drove the car, pulled it back into the garage, and saw
the very large puddle of oil under the tranny.  Had to pull it again and
replace the front cover of the tranny.  Now you can get a new front cover
for the Spridget tranny that has a "Real" oil seal, but not in those days.
It looks like I'm going to have to change my habits with this engine/tranny
combination and that's too bad as I have become quite proficient at
installing them as a unit. It only takes me 10 minutes or so to get it into
position to install the motor mounts.

My Bugeye's appear to be slightly off from the norm.  Numerous people have
told me about installing the crossflow  radiator in their Bugeye.  I have a
complete crossflow setup and it will not fit in either car. The bonnet will
not close with the crossflow in place as it sticks up higher than the
downflow. On one of the cars the bonnet actually rubs on the top of the
downflow.  The bonnet fits well otherwise.

Larry Miller (millerls@msn.com)
59 Bugeye (Under Construction)
60 Bugeye (Undergoing 5-Speed Transplant)
78 911 SC (Faster than a Bugeye but not as much fun)