Re: engine rebuild questions

To: robert weeks <robert@woozy.com>
Subject: Re: engine rebuild questions
From: Les Myer <lmyer@sprynet.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:23:28 -0500
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Robert,

If you're going all the way - also resize the rods, new cam bearings,
new frost plugs, new oil pump, new timing chain.  I like new grade 8
washers and new small- block Chevy rod nuts to hold the head down.

You already know what I think about oil control in 1275s.  Get a PCV
valve or buy a bag of oil dry.

No on the rockers unless you have the weak stamped steel variety.  Then
I would use stock-ratio hi-po arms or stock cast arms if you can find
them.  If you're dying to spend some money on something hi-po that
really makes a difference without loosing streetablity - try a
belt-drive cam setup.  I haven't done this on a Sprite but I used to
have gear drives on American V-8s (this eliminates variation in cam and
ignition timing due to stretched timing chain sets - and they all
stretch after driven a little)

Don't grind the crank if it is a ENB-40 casting (doubtful in a '69 but
you never know what someone may have put in.

Les