Re: trans drain plug tool

To: "Foxy Dave" <dfox@blarg.net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: trans drain plug tool
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:24:46 +1100
Cc: "David Ramsey" <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, <chasdoug@gte.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The problem with most gear is that they will corrode the brass (synchros,
bushes etc) in the box. The problem with engine oils are that they don't
have
the ideal properties for lubricating gears (performance under high
compression
and shear). Those properties are usually achieved by sulphur based additives
(these cause the problem) but could also be provided by molybdenum or zinc
based additives.

Oils designed especially for manual transmissions (e.g. redline, amsoil and
probably
others) are the ideal oils for spridget boxes.

If you really want to use engine oil, then a molybdenum-based additive is a
good idea.
It adds the stability under high load without effecting the abilities of the
synchros to
perform their job.

Mike

Mike