Help me with fluid choices please

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Help me with fluid choices please
From: jphender@soli.inav.net
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 08:28:20 -0600 (CST)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
The discussion of crankcase/gearbox/differential lubes is really timely
for me.  I didn't realize that there were so many choices and viewpoints.

I need to replace all of these because they have been sitting for at least
ten years.  I plan to use Mobil1 synthetics just because they are
considered to be of decent quality and they are readily available.  This
car will be a daily driver that will rarely see temps below 50 deg F or
above 100 deg F.  (Iowa, spring summer fall service only)  I will probably
use it for around-town driving only.  Not a racer.

The manual I have don't specifically mention synthetics (of course) Do you
just use the same weights?  I could use some advice:

For the engine: 0W-30?  5W-30? 10W-30? or 15W-50?
For the gearbox: Mobil1 75W-90 Synthetic gear lube ok?
For the differential: Same as gearbox?  (Data sheet says "Completely shear
stable, even under severe shearing in hypoid and other automotive gears")

Thanks!

Jim Henderson

'69 Sprite MKIV HAN9U78817G