RE: Fastener specifications

To: "'DOUGLAS W. INGRAM'" <dingram@tnet.net>
Subject: RE: Fastener specifications
From: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 14:28:19 -0500
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
It is called a factory parts manual. The BMC part numbers are shown for nearly
each and every bolt in the car, all you have to do is remember how to decipher
the BMC codes.

For example, suppose the bolt in question showed up in the BMS parts manual as
#BH606241.

- the B is for bolt
- the H is for hex headed
- the 6 is for fine thread (coarse thread would be 5)
- the 06 means 6/16" diameter
- the 24 means 24/8" length
- the 1 means nothing

Now the part you were looking for is RMP308; this one is tougher, but here goes:

- the R is for round head
- the M is ?? (maybe countersunk)
- the P is for, I think, plated
- the 30 is for small screws/bolts and it means #10 or 10/32"
- the 8  means 8/16" or one half inch long

Now, let's open the floodgates and the let listers blast me on this! In that
way, we can all learn.

Daniel