Re: timing by EAR ???

To: "Evangelos G. Makris" <emakris@hol.gr>
Subject: Re: timing by EAR ???
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 08:56:32 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
I used to do this with my Fiat X 1/9.  I could actually move the dist with
my right hand while driving (mid-engine car, access panel on later
models).  You keep advancing until it pings when going up a hill in a high
gear.

This doesn't work with my Sprite.  Not only can't I reach the dist while
driving :-) but also I don't detect a difference in the way the engine
runs when I move the dist.  Use a timing light.

Ulix

On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Evangelos G. Makris wrote:

> Thank you for your help re my two puzzles.
>
> Is it really possible to time an engine by ... ear?
>
> Can someone please explain the procedure, as I don't
> remember reading about it in any of my workshop manuals.
>
> Evangelos
> 66 Sprite, 78 Mini

                                                           '67 Sprite