Re: Bugeye Generator

To: chasdoug@gte.net
Subject: Re: Bugeye Generator
From: Dave Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 20:19:30 -0600
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chas,

Order a new bearing.  The one from VB may fit; anyone have experience
with this item or a cross reference?  Remove the pulley nut and woodruff
key (you may have to get under a corner of the key with screw driver and
top with a persuader).  If the pulley doesn't readily come off, which it
won't, do not pry it off or use a puller as it will bend and then you up
the "proverbial polluted".  Soak it liberally with liquid wrench, maybe
for a few days in the worst cases, and then try to remove by GENTLY
using a puller.
Anyone have other suggestions?
Anyway, once you have that off and the "fan" part, remove the front
cover by undoing the long bolts holding the cover together.  The front
bearing is either held in by a circlip or riveted by tubular rivets.  If
it's circlipped, great!  If it is riveted, drill out the rivets.  When
replacing the bearing I have used pop rivets if they don't foul
anything.  I have found tubular rivets at a good hardware store; usually
in those "Sharon" boxes that have the neat goodies.  It is not difficult
to rebuild a generator.  You want to hang on to the old stuff,
especially the tach drive ones.  Some of us fanatics even use the
appropriately dated case.  Well that was my $.25 worth.
Good luck and hang on to that generator.
Dave
'59 :()