Re: My Midget's 35th Birthday, now pops out of 4th gear

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: My Midget's 35th Birthday, now pops out of 4th gear
From: Randell Jesup <Randell.Jesup@scala.com>
Date: 01 Apr 1998 19:23:46 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Fred Krampits <fred@hprrc725.rose.hp.com> writes:
>To celebrate it's birthday the car has given me a present, on the way to
>work it popped out of 4th gear twice during the 2 mile ride I have,
>actually the second time was about 5 seconds after the first. I've heard
>of ribcase's popping out of second, but not 4th. Anybody have any idea's
>what I am in for now?

        Could be a weak retaining spring (behind a plunger).  My old Sprite
used to do this bigtime; (angled) wear on the gear dogs can cause it to
happen.  I fixed it for a while by reversing the 3rd/4th shift collar (or
whatever the correct name is), so that the wear would be shifted from
4th-under-power to 3rd-under-coast.  That worked for a while, but
eventually the problem came back.  (Note that 4th was unusable before I did
that.)

        If you try to hold it in gear you'll wear away one side of the
3rd/4th shift fork, and be left with only one gear (3rd).  Ask me how I
know.... (ok, I was 17, and had been driving the beat-up sprite less than a
year, and I was a day late already getting back to boarding school from a
holiday due to a broken fuel pump wire coming out of Central Park.)

--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com