Re: Some Assembly Required

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Some Assembly Required
From: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>
Date: 2 Apr 1998 16:35:13 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
jburruso@pacbell.net wrote:
> I guess my mechanical skills are better than my organizational skills
> since I keep having to take one thing off to install another.  In
> short,  What first?

I assume this is to be an all-at-once, off-the-road restoration.

The organization first!  I would clean, paint small parts, and organize
first.  Clean, painted parts go in boxes protected from each other by
clean shoptowels.  Clean, unpaintable parts (example engine internals --
crank, etc): spray with WD40 and wrap in garbage sacks and knot.  Label
everything carefully.

Next I would clean, weld and prime (possibly paint -- depends on how
clumsy you are) the body-shell.

Next do the suspension, rear-end, brakes, electrics in about that order.

Next transmission, engine (including cooling system, etc).

Finally interior, exterior trim, and possibly the final paint if you
didn't want to live dangerously.  This is pretty close to my plan of
attack for a Mini, but it's a bit simpler since all the powertrain is
up-front.

Best of luck!
--
        Matt Liggett