Re[2]: LBC SOBRIQUET

Subject: Re[2]: LBC SOBRIQUET
From: Chuck Simmers <Chuck_Simmers@ccm.ch.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 98 09:00:00 PST
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
All,
        Actually, there were three Sunbeams used. All were Alpines rebadged as
Tigers. All were built by Gene Winfield when AMT (yes, the model car people) had
a special vehicles operation here in Phoenix.
        Two were used during most of the filming, one had all the gadgets and
was used for close-ups and car shows. The reason they used Alpines was that,
one, they were cheaper (who would know the difference, right?) and the
four-banger left room under the hood for the mortar/grenade launcher.
        I work for AMT and Mr. Winfield for a short time in Phoenix. Their main
business was the Piranha sports car (a re-bodied Corvair Monza Turbo), although
many customs came out of there. Dean Martin's Gold-digger (a '32 Ford roadster
that could transform into a '68 Camaro) was my favorite. Also the "Man from
U.N.C.L.E." gullwing coupe.
        This is probably more informaion than any of you wanted to know.

-Chuck Simmers

Billy Zoom wrote:

> > Wasn't it a regular Alpine?
> It was a Tiger, but I think he switched to a Karman Ghia when VW became
> the sponsor.

 Well guys, If you want to find out what the forces of niceness and good
really drove and when, check out the following link:
http://www.bcpl.net/~cbirkmey/frame1.html

He drove a Sunbeam Alpine re-badged as a Tiger, (something which I hear
from the Sunbeam crowd happens a lot) a Kharman Ghia, and an Opel GT.
Missed it by that much!

Steve.
(I never wanted to be a lawyer, I wanted to be a Control agent)
--
|   Steve McGee,
|   Atty. at large
|   samesq@pacbell.net
|   http://home.pacbell.net/samesq/

    "Only if you are unafraid of the truth will you ever find it."