Re: Help me through this...(sort of LBC)

To: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Help me through this...(sort of LBC)
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 1998 22:56:18 -0400
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
> Always wanted an E-type, and know that if I go and look at any, I'll buy
> one.  Thereafter, a life of forking out big bucks chasing unattainable
> reliability!?

> Is it really nice to drive?  Is it comfortable?  Is it quiet?  Are you
sure
> it shifts nicely, and is the clutch right?  Steering is sweet?
>
> Oh heck, and how much is it?
>
> Daryl

Thanks to all for the "advice", especially Daniel Thompson's - finally, my
own usual advice thrown back at me.  The full rundown so far: (Runaway now
if you don't care)

Daryl, I know how you feel.  It's why I got the (former car) Lotus, and,
WST is right, it'll break your heart (my Lotus burned).  In fact, under a
seat I found a handmade sign in the XK-E:

      WON'T SHIFT. GONE FOR HELP.

My Lotus was great for almost three years, then poof.  The thing about this
E-type is it gets you right where you live. The Lotus was close, but only
about 99% "Resonance", as I call it (the Bugeye is right in there, too).
The E-type is dead center, bullseye, pin the GOTTA HAVE IT meter.  This car
would've been $35K 5 years ago, now she's asking $20K.  As much as I love
the car, it'll need paint soon (no rust, though), a few dings removed, and
lots of chrome work.  The car has lived in an oceanfront garage for 5
years.  The paint and body are ok, the chrome suffered.  Yes, it is still
gorgeous.  Yes, it shifts right (although the 2nd gear  synchro can be
outshifted if not careful).  The engine is smooth as silk, and it has a
turbine like wine (purr? meow?) when it's wound.  It kind of loses ooomph
above 4200 rpm (5000 redline), but it is smooooth.  Quiet? not especially,
but the noises are the right ones - engine, exhaust, people's jaws hitting
the floor.  There is a squeak in the dash that is driving me nuts, though.
I think the owner is a little too old to be able to hear it as it is
extremely high pitched.  The steering is actually my major complaint - I
expected a mix between Lotus and Bugeye, but there is something not quite
right.  Slow response off center (you know, like a Vette), almost where I'd
say a worn steering rack is the problem (don't know squat about E-Type
steering mechanisms, but that's what it feels like).  Nice, supple ride on
the highway, though. Great brakes (Lotus-like inboard brakes in the rear).
All in all, being in and around the car is making me think "I WILL have one
someday" over and over.  I also think this car is probably nicer than 90%
of the crap for sale in Auto Trader locally.  This is an honest car that
has been treated right its whole life, not some bondo'd up electrical
hazard with a "$29,900 OBO" at the end of the ad.

Clarici is right - I'm a lucky bastard.

Night all,
Ron