Re: Header & Exhaust

To: Phil Profili <pprofili@hercii.mar.lmco.com>
Subject: Re: Header & Exhaust
From: Agustin de la Calle <agustin@risotto.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 11:09:17 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Phil,

Your timing couldn't be better. I just have installed within the last
week or so the new exhaust system. After it was lying around at home for
quite some time...

> Did you get your exhaust from APT?

Yes, both manifold and exhaust are from APT. I believe both are Maniflow
(from the UK). The header was a big difference. I had to richen the carbs
otherwise it wouldn't run properly. I drove like that with the stock
exhaust from a 1500cc (with the two muffler boxes or resonator or whatever
they are called). It was very quiet and I had to keep my neighbors happy
with the possibility of driving off very early in the morning.

Now I took that whole exhaust off. I have now a 1 7/8" diameter pipe and a
single muffler: 2" diameter maniflow. Dave Anton from APT was saying that
he would recommend this one which is the one behind the gas tank in the
two box exhaust version. Since I was going to use only one muffler, that
was the one to choose. If I would have sound problems (can't hear the
engine from all the ringing in my ears) I still could install the
resonator box later.

> If so, which one did you get and how does it sound?

I got the dimensions: 6.5" x 5" x 15",  2"diameter (approx. $74.88)
As I said, it is thought to be the one that goes across usually. It fits
nicely where the stock single exhaust goes, right between the spring and
the gas tank. The oval shape hangs vertically and not flat as in other
cars.

The sound is really deep. It's while driving a bit loud at certain revs
and at other rpms it doesn't feel as loud. I thought I should try to
muffle the exhaust a bit more and bought a Monza exhaust tip from
JCWhitney for $20. That's actually more for looks. But I couldn't get that
last pipe off the car. The guys at Meinecke did a really good job when
putting the exhaust together and made sure it wouldn't fall off. I guess
thats another trip to the Meinecke shop.

> Also, which manifold did you get (I notice they have more than one option for
> the sprite).

I think I got the Header: EXL9 LCB SPRI/MID HEADER at $154.50. I am sure
Dave Anton will be able to tell you which one is best for you or even
which one I might have gotten. I did not confirm any power gains on the
dyno, though!

Cheers,

Gus
'71 Midget