Oil Filter

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Oil Filter
From: Les Myer <lmyer@probe.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 17:25:48 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Patrick,

I don't find the paper elements difficult to replace.  At least not enough
so to motivate me to hassle converting to a spin-on.  I do most of it from
the top.  First I remove the fresh air intake duct for access and place a
drain pan underneath.  From the top side you can hold the can upwards
against the spring while loosening the bolt a little with a wrench and then
spin the bolt the rest of the way out with your fingers.  Then dump the oil
into the pan and remove the cannister/oil filter from the vehicle. Remove
the filter, then the plate, then the spring, then the bolt and washer.
Clean all and install a new washer o-ring.  From underneath the vehicle,
take a pick and remove the old cannister seal from the adaptor.  Install a
new cannister seal in the groove, using vaseline or wheel bearing grease to
stick it in place (make sure you use the right one - you usually get two
different thicknesses of seals with the filter).  Install the bolt/washer
into the cannister, add the spring, add the plate (with the hump upwards),
add the oil filter, and from the top again start the bolt into the adaptor.
 Then hold the cannister upwards against the seal while finger tightening
the bolt.  Finish off with a wrench and reinstall the duct.

Sounds like a lot - but actually only takes about 10 minutes.  The key is
using the grease to stick the cannister seal into place so it doesn't fall
out during re-asembly.

Les