Re: synthetics in fresh rebuilds

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: synthetics in fresh rebuilds
From: Michael Dietsche <mdietsche@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 10:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

I asked those questions of the lubrication engineer at Quaker State.
He told me not to use full synthetics in a pre-1980 car unless all
seals had been changed on a fresh rebuild.  This would be true for
engine, tranny, or rear end.  But he said a blended sythetic would be
OK without changing the seals.  Also, he said there was no need to
break in a rebuilt engine with conventional oil, although I had heard
this rumor too.

More oil myths and legends:

Years ago I wourked with an chemical engineer who had been with
Philips Petroleum.  He said their internal testing at the time showed
Penzoil as the superior lubricant on the market.  BUT, many engine
rebuilders have told me engines run on Penzoil show excessive caking
deposits.

They used to say Quaker State had lots of sediment and junk in it
right from the distillery.  I noticed they recently have gone to clear
bottles and make a big deal out of their new filtering technology.
Are they subtly countering an old bad rap?

A former race driver and mechanical engineer swears by Valvoline
Racing Formula for superior detergent action - says he's personally
torn down Valvoline-run engines with 40-50k miles and they were shiny
clean inside.

MD

---Matt Liggett <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net> wrote:

> Is anyone using synthetic oil in their Midget?  Mine will be all new
with
> fresh seals and gaskets everywhere, so I feel comfortable using
synthetic
> oil.  I've had heat problems in the past and synthetics really put up
> with those conditions well.
>
> I understand that I should atleast run my first batch of oil or two as
> petroleum oil.  Has anyone else done this?  Any advice?
> --
> <mml@pobox.com>                                              Matt
Liggett