Britfest '98 Report

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Britfest '98 Report
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 1998 18:05:29 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Just got back from Britfest in Dover, NJ an hour or so ago and thought I'd
report in.  What a blast!!  I was a bit too solo this time out and didn't
really talk to anyone.  I think I was just so overwhelmed with all the
beautiful cars gathered in one place and with locating some parts for my
new Midget.  I did see Dave Deutsch's BRG MGB and was trying to keep an eye
out to introduce myself, but never did get to meet.  (Dave, I'll be calling
soon about NAMGB membership since you welcome Midgets).

Did get my reversing lamp housing among the parts I gathered in.  Also
spare bulbs, radio blanking plate, trunk lock (can't lock my old one),
reprinted owner's manual for my '74, key chain set of wire wheels and knock
offs and dash pad cover to beautify my cracked top pad.  I also bought a
new exhaust system from the manifold on back from Moss.  It's too bad it
wasn't in stock and they had to ship because on my way home, my pipe
snapped in 2 just below the exhaust manifold.  Luckily I found a place to
pull over, found some weed whacker twine to hold the pipe up to the chassis
and limped the remaining mile home sounding like a mean mother bear.  :)
I'm lucky it was the exhaust since I planned on changing it anyway.  Heck,
I knew it looked dodgey, but I never knew it was that bad.  It's just too
bad I'm off the road now unit the parts come in as it is beautiful top down
weather in the NYC area.

On a happier note.  As this was my maiden voyage in the Midget it was nice
to see that apart from the exhaust system, everything worked wonderfully.
Only to fellow listers can I say with any hope of being understood what a
ball it was driving up there and back (about 40 miles each way).  Fussing
over my car's soft top the past few evenings had me wondering....did I do
the right thing getting this beast?  Answer was in the driving - YES!  I
was actually hooting with delight at some points.  :)

And the cars!  Those Morgan +4s sure are gorgeous.  And it was fun seeing a
Lotus 7 or two.  Of course I was drooling over Midgets, Bugeyes, Bs, TDs,
TFs, TCs, etc.  Those MGBs sure are big next to our cars, aren't they?  I
sort of envy them all that room under the bonnet to work on the engine.
Then again, I could get a Bugeye.  What marvelous access.  But for now,
just time to enjoy my Midget.

Well, enough for now.  I know I've run on and on, but I'm just so pumped
from a fun, fun afternoon.  Not even the exhaust is going to take that away
from me.  :)

Cheers,
Philip
'74 Midget (Burgundy)