Carburetors

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Carburetors
From: Midget Boy <dfox@blarg.net>
Date: Sat, 02 May 1998 12:28:25 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hello everyone,
  I have a few questions about making adjustments to the
HS2 carbs in my '67 Midget. (first timer)
While attempting to follow the carb tuning procedure described in the
Haynes manual I got to the part where the pistons were removed and I was
staring down
at the top of the jets. The book then says to bring the jet heads level
with the bridge of the carb.
Now this is where the trouble started.
On the front carb I started turning the jet adjusting nut to find that the
jet locking nut was loose.
Trying to tighten the lock nut makes the jet pull to one side no matter how
much I try to keep it
centered.
The rear carb jet is centered fine but is level with the bridge of the carb
only when the
adjusting nut is turned down as far as possible.
Turning the adjusting nut up (compressing the spring)
makes the jet rise well into the mixing chamber.

How do I fix this stuff ? Do I need a total rebuild ?

Also, before I tore into the carbs I did get the car started and let it
reach operating
temp. at which point an enormous amount of smoke started pouring from the
tail pipe.
It seemed like oil smoke. After looking over the engine I noticed that the
hose from the
oil breather valve thingy to the intake manifold was soaking wet with oil.
That's not supposed
to be oily is it ?

Any and all help much appreciated !

Dave Fox