Re: Exhaust line install questions

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Subject: Re: Exhaust line install questions
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 18:14:38 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Philip Hubbard wrote:

> First question:  is one expected to get an absolutely flush fit of the
> sliding flange on the front pipe with the flange on the manifold?  Mine is
> close but not quite.  I put a small amount of high temp RTV at this joint
> and started tightening the bolts.  I got to a point where I just physically
> couldn't tighten anymore.  Not much room to work in that area is there?
> Also, I was afraid to snap a stud

There should be about a 1/4" gap bewteen the pipe collar and manifold. (donut
space)

> .
>
> Second question:  the front pipe is just attached at the manifold and about
> 3/4 of the way to the end of the front pipe using one of those rubber
> mounts attached to a bracket.  There aren't any more brackets to the car
> for the front pipe are there?

There should be an attachment bracket at the transmission/engine also.(I usually
eliminate this, I find it breaks off too quick anyway.)

> Third question:  I assume I just use some sealer and clamp at the joint
> between front pipe and muffler assembly?

Shouldn't need any sealer, use Neverseize for ease of removal in the future.

> Fourth question:  I have another one of those rubber mounts but can't see
> anywhere to attach it to the car.  All I see are two straight bolts coming
> out of the body.  One on the driver's side and one on the passenger's side.
>  Are these the only two mounting points for the resonator box/muffler
> assembly?  I expected to find a place to mount a u-bracket or something.
> There was one auspicious set of two holes almost at the very rear of the
> car on the driver's side, but the spacing is too narrow for either the
> rubber mount or a u-bracket.  Get a smaller mount or bracket?  Use the
> straight bolts with some sort of bracket?
>
> Can anyone help with how the muffler is attached to the car?

It bolts to the stud comming out of the trunk.

> Fifth and final question:  I have two round rubber muffler bushings.
> Assuming that I use the obvious two straight bolts, can I further assume
> that I use one rubber bushing on each to cushion the ride of the muffler?

That is correct.

--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs