Re: poor guy with a 1275...

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@icx.net>
Subject: Re: poor guy with a 1275...
From: Les Myer <lmyer@probe.net>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 12:42:40 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
J. Adrian Barnes wrote:

> A guy sent me this plea for help and I don't know what to tell him.
> Anybody have any ideas?  You can email him direct if you want to,
> address below.  Thanks!
>
> adrian
>
> (His email address is:  h7dylan@aol.com)
>
> > I need help. I just put a rebuilt 1275cc
> >  I need help. I just put a 73 1275 cc into my 74 Midget. I rebuilt it
>first. My problem is it will
> >  not start. I am getting sprak from the plugs and gas to the carb. The
>carbs will emmit a white
> >  smoke and make a popping sound every couple of turns. It just won't start.
>I am 95% certain
> >  my timing is good. Is there any other cause for this.
> >  Please Help
> >  H.C. Hill
> >
> -------------------------
> http://user.icx.net/~adrian/midget
> -------------------------

To run, an engine needs fuel, air, compression, and spark - in the right
amounts at the right time.  Being 95% sure of timing throws up a lot of
flags - you must be 100% sure or the statement means nothing.

1.      Check the compression. - if has good compression on all cylinders,
assume the cam is installed correctly and that the valve lash is
adjusted enough to start the car.  If not, find out why and fix it.
2.      If has good compression on all cylinders, rotate engine to TDC#1 (#1
valves will both be closed and timing mark will be lined up) and check
to see that the distributor rotor is pointing to #1 plug wire and that
the points are just about to open.  If not, find out why and fix it.
Also check to make sure the firing order is right.
3.      If it still won't start, crank the engine and watch the points - you
should see an arc as they open and close.  If that is OK, hold a
screwdriver that is grounded to the engine with a wire in the vicinity
of the coil center terminal while cranking.  A spark should jump to the
screwdriver.  If OK, use an extra spark plug (grounded to the engine) to
check the output of each plug wire while cranking.  If problems are
found, fix them.
4.      If no problems are found in 1-4, then verify fuel quality and finally
carburetion.

Les Myer
PDLJMPR Web Magazine