Re: Tacho cable

To: jimrowan@uic.edu, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tacho cable
From: LRuggi2635 <LRuggi2635@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 22:33:09 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Jim Rowan writes:

<<My tacho cable is toast. It's got all kind of cut/splits in the plastic
cover and looks terrible. So I decided to order a new one. Simple right?
Wrong. I ordered the replacement from VB and it looked great even had made in
the UK stamped across it. Well, I removed the old cable which I noticed was
quite a bit longer (foot and a half) than the new one. Put the new one in and
it's about 2 inches too short. Returned it and ordered another one. Same
problem. I've tried to make the route the cable follows as short as possible,
still too short. Are UK centimeters shorter than US Centi's? Maybe they're
Whitworth centimeters. Has anyone else had this problem? It's gotta be a bad
batch or something. I'm not gonna order a 3rd
one from VB maybe I'll try Moss.>>

Jim, I'm not in the habit of bashing anyone, but VB is all but completely off
my supplier list, ever since their MGB "complete brake kit" had the wrong size
rear shoes.  Mistakes do happen, but of course, their parts people are just
number punching order takers, and their "techies" said that that's what their
lists showed to be correct.  All I knew is that the da*ned things didn't fit
as they should have (I had done brakes a few times before), and they had the
nerve to argue about crediting my money for the shoes when I returned them.
Sheesh--not worth the hassle unless they save you lots of money on something
you know their suppliers (or they themselves) can't screw up.  Maybe they're
too busy with Chevy trucks and old Datsuns to remember what got them there in
the first place--sigh...

Larry Ruggiero
'72 MGB
'65 Sprite