'76 Midget - Brake Lights / tail lights - solved!

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, robert@woozy.com, mrbugeye@hotmail.com
Subject: '76 Midget - Brake Lights / tail lights - solved!
From: cfiddes@direct.ca
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 08:31:28 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <cfiddes@direct.ca>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi folks.

Thanks to those who sent suggestions about my electrical problems.

Turns out that the main source of my problem was me!

My sidemarkers have no bulbs and the "doo-hickey" that
holds the contact in place in the bulb housing had broken
leaving the contact flapping around.  I suspect it would
touch the bulb housing and go to ground.  Should have replaced
them all after the first one broke.  Fixed.

Cleaned up the ground connections (cat tongue is an excellent
sandpaper substitute).

Finally - the brake lights.  Couldn't find any reason they weren't
working.  Turns out everything worked exactly as intended - except I
got the positioning of the contacts wrong when I replaced the "doo-hickey"
contact
holders.  Thus when the running lights were on, the brake filament
was lit; the much softer tail light filament lit up when the brake
pedal was depressed - you just couldn't see it.  Reversed the
positioning of the contacts in the "doo-hickeys" and all was fine.

Thanks again.
Chris.
'76 Midget - driving the Oregon coast next weekend!