Re: brake light Bugeye

To: carolien@coastalnet.com, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, robert@woozy.com, mrbugeye@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: brake light Bugeye
From: cfiddes@direct.ca
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 14:54:40 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <cfiddes@direct.ca>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Carol,

Sounds like the problem I just fixed.  I am no expert on your '59 as
I am working on a much newer '76 Midget, BUT:

It sounds like you have the two leads running to the right tail light
reversed.  That is, you have the lead for the tail light (ie lights
on, no brakes) illuminating the filament intended for the
brakes;  this leaves the lead for the brakes to illuminate the tail
light filament.

When the lights are off and you step on the brakes, you get normal
operation out of the left light (ie. bright brake light) and a less
bright (tail light) light on the right.  When the lights are on, the
bright filament on the right side is illuminated, and even though the
other (tail light)  filament comes on, it just isn't noticeable.

To check, remove the lense and have someone step on the brakes while
you watch the bulb.  If a different filament in the bulb lights up for the tail
light than for the brakes, I'd bet this is your problem.

Remove the bulb and peer into the housing.  There is some kind of
mechanism holding the two separate contacts in place.  You need to
reverse them and all will be fine.  In my car it is a small (size of
a nickel) piece of mystery material that looks like dense cardboard.
It has two slots cut into it that allow the contacts to slide into
place.  In my car I open the boot (whoops, could be a problem for
you!) and push the wires through from behind which pushes the
cardboard "doo-hickey" out of its recess and into a workable
position.  You'll have to figure out another method, I guess.

If I have totally misguided you, someone with more knowledge than I
about your car will correct me and set you straight.  Lemme know if I
can be of more assistance.

Chris.
'76 Midget

.> Hi everyone,