Re: Wheel Bearings

To: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheel Bearings
From: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 00:42:09 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
>I have a question about wheel bearings.  I started to read on how to change
>these and found that I am supposed to have a special tool - a hub extractor
>and may need another one - a hub bearing remover.  Is this really the case?
> Should I have a pro do the wheel bearings?

You can buy pullers from Harbor Freight. Don't know the cat# but the SKU#
on the box is P-32184. It's a set of 3 and they were very inexpensive. I
used them for my rear hubs; haven't neede to do the fronts yet.

>OTOH, I took off the front passenger's side tire today and notice that the
>break grabs off and on as I rotate the hub.  Wonder if this might be
>causing the sound.  I guess adjusting the brake so that it doesn't rub
>isn't such a big job so I could do the bushings, adjust the brakes and then
>test it out.

 The front brakes are self-adjusting disc brakes. There is little
adjustment that you can do. More than likely you have a slightly warped
disc. Probably everyone on this list has slightly to very warped discs. The
discs are a little too thin to be turned, as you'd normally have a brake
shop do. You can buy new ones pretty cheaply from Special Interest Car
parts. They are running a special for midget wire wheel discs, don't know
the time limit, but I they are only $8 per; cat# 08-1633-10. Don't know
what they want for steel wheel discs.

I don't know if warped discs would cause the sound that you have, though.

Good luck,

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Editor-in-Chief, Molecular Vision