Re: cleaning, painting and tapping the block

To: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>, <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: cleaning, painting and tapping the block
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 1998 18:24:17 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Matt,
Just cleaned the block yesterday on my taking-forever rebuild.  I used a
wire brush to get off a few stubborn spots.  I then power washed (1500 psi)
all surfaces, oil passages, and cooling jackets.  I drilled out the gallery
pugs and used a set of "rifle barrel" brushes to clean the channels.  It
was AMAZING what came out of a seemingly spotless block.  I then washed and
washed again.  Everything was then dried with compressed air and oiled with
WD-40.  I was going to tap the oil galleries but I needed a drill bit (i
think it was a 31/64 tap?) but the guy at ACE couldn't tell me for sure
what size drill I needed for the tap.  Am going back to the block tonight
with a tap/drill chart.  Will mail final results later tonight or tomorrow.