RE: Overdrive in Midgets?

To: "'J. Adrian Barnes'" <adrian@icx.net>, spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Overdrive in Midgets?
From: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 1998 14:10:32 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Adrian,

The post '74 Midgets used the Triumph 1500 engine/trans from the Spitfire.
Whereas the Sprite/Midgets never offered overdrive (despite having advanced
unibody construction) the Spitfire had the optional sophistication of having
an overdrive trans available (despite having an antiquated frame/body
construction).

There are varying opinions as to exact interchangeability.  From my
experience the D-type three rail overdrive can be swapped directly for a
non-OD single rail trans (did it in my '73 Spitfire 1500).  Will it work in
a Midget?  Don't know.   Depends upon the trans tunnel clearance and if
there is a real difference in drive shaft length for the three rail/single
rail transmissions, overdrive or non-overdrive.

Jim