re: Stainless was Whitworth tools

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net, CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM
Subject: re: Stainless was Whitworth tools
From: "Peter Samaroo" <mrbugeye@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:07:11 PDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
 IMHO Stainless steel fasteners are OK for non-structural use but I
believe that they are normally not even grade 5, because of the ease
with which I have managed to snap them when tightening. Also unless you
put an anti-seize compound on them they tend to gall(transfer material
from one surface to the other). After they have been put on and taken
off a few times they seem to loose their threads and if they have been
overtightened the threads are normally deformed and twisted. I have quit
using them normally and use regular grade 8 fasteners with anti-seize
compound, except where they are in contact with wood e.g. TD and MGA
floorboards etc.(I think that's where the term floorboards came from
those older cars that actually used wood) they seem to be fine for those
type applications (i.e. non structual).
I'm sure someone is going to disagree with me but thats OK if we all did
things the same way we would never figure out new ways of doing things.
I am only talking about your garden variety stainless I do not think it
undergoes the same heat treatment that grade 8 type fasteners undergo,
If someone knows of a good source for stainless grade 8 hardware I would
be glad to hear about it.