Re: Parts solvents?

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Parts solvents?
From: "Matt Liggett" <mliggett-receive-spridgets@elise.kiva.net>
Date: 14 Jun 1998 14:12:53 -0000
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Ron Soave wrote:
> We have tried many solvents (kerosene, mineral spirits, etc.) and have
> found all of them to be really tough on the sinuses.  Right now, we're
> using "Odorless Mineral Spirits, which means what you can't smell is
> hurting you a whole lot (so far each night of parts cleaning has been
> followed by psychedelic dreams filled with Jerry Garcia music and Goldy
> Hawn in body paint, but I'm pretty sure the better the dream, the less
> brain cells have survived).  Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've found that none of the really effective solvents are gentle on the
sinuses.  I use lacquer thinner which contains MEK.  Very nasty stuff.
If I had a sealed work environment like that, I would either install a
fume hood (expensive as it would vent your conditioned air outside) or
atleast a forced air respirator.  If neither of these is permissible,
look for a facemask approved for use with organic solvents.  The
cartridges need replaced, but it should do the trick.  Be careful,
though, because the fumes linger for some time.  And if you can smell or
taste what you're working with, the mask is not working.

Thanks for the tip on tapping the oil galleries.
--
<mml@pobox.com>                                              Matt Liggett
                                  '60 Mini, '70 Midget, '89 SAAB 900t SPG