Fried Tach cable

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fried Tach cable
From: Dave_Vrba@mail.sel.sony.com (Dave Vrba)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 10:15:39 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
     Had an interesting happening yesterday while on a wonderful Northern
     Calif Sunday drive in the '62 MKII Sprite.

     I literally "FRIED" a tach cable.  The rubber coating melted (smoke
     too)

     How can this happen?  I had the tach cable routed from the generator
     rear end gear assembly back to the heater box with a gradual right
     angle turn to lay between the heater box and the battery with another
     gradual right angle turn to the firewall and through to the tach.  The
     cable fried from the heater box turn to the generator area like it got
     "electrified" somehow and had a direct short.  I suppose the rubber on
     the cable had rubbed through at this turn creating a ground.  (I have
     a negative ground system)  But that means the cable itself had to have
     a "positive potential" from the generator, Right?  How can this
     happen?  Is the generator FRIED as well causing this?  The generator
     was VERY HOT to the touch.  I did read 2 volts to ground from the
     large spade terminal on the generator with the leads disconnected and
     the car running turning the generator at idle.  Is this correct?

     Diagnosis and help appreciated on this one.  Don't want to FRY another
     anytime soon.  (Can the local auto parts house bench check my
     generator correctly?)

     Dave
     '62 Sprite MKII
     HAN6L14083