Re: Wheel bearings

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Wheel bearings
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:09:12 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
At 10:59 PM 6/15/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Philp
>
>You have to drift out the old bearing races.
>A bronze drift is best but any large enough socket will work too.
>If you do not have a socket or suitable drift, tap the races out using
>what ever by alternating from side to side on the race.
>If you did not smoke the bearings, they should come out with only
>moderate use of a hammer.
>Be sure the "thrust" side of the new bearings fase the inner spacer.
>Both thrust sides (marked on new bearings) must face each other.
>
>Good luck
>Frank

Thanks Frank.  I'll try to drift out those races tomorrow evening now that
I know I am not attacking an integral part of the hub.  :)

Actually, I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic.  I've got both sets of
inner a-arm bushings in and the upper trunion bushings look fairly easy.
Then it's just finish off the wheel bearings and change the rotors and I'm
done with what I =planned= to do to the front end.  Hope that's all I need
to do for now - then I could move to the rear bushings.

About the rotors.  I've been soaking the bolts for a couple of days now and
it doesn't seem to be having any impact.  I'm going to try heating them
with a torch, but otherwise I'll just take them to a shop and plead.  :)
Someone suggested putting it in a vise and going at it, but my vise isn't
attached to a workbench.  What a deprived life I lead.  :)

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget