Strange Encounter

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange Encounter
From: "Daryl May" <mayfam@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 06:06:36 -0700
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Just a story, will leave others to comment.

There I am down at Pick-your-Part auto junkyard in Stanton, California.  I
go there regularly, and about every 10 visits will find a Spridget, usually
heavily picked over.

This weekend, paydirt!  A nice 1972-73 Midget but there's a gentlemen there
before me.  He surveys the Midget, then disappears.  I go about my business
of removing the things I need.  AND ONE OF THE THINGS I TAKE IS A BEAUTIFUL
HARDTOP, which they'll sell for $42!  Now, I have no use for the hardtop,
being as I have a Bugeye, but numerous friends can use it.  And I know it's
worth $150 at least.

Just when I've removed the hardtop and got it on to my cart, the gentlemen
returns.  He had gone home to get his truck so HE could buy the hardtop. I
explain that I'm sorry, but if he had only said earlier, I would have left
it for him.  Now, it's mine!

Then I relented, had him pay me $20 inside the "store" for my work and lost
dreams, and he departed happily to the checkout.

Strangest $20 I ever made,  Strangest encounter.  Took my own parts to the
counter and came out $10 ahead.  The Midget is still there if anyone needs
it.  But don't ask me to go get anything for you without a $20 pre-payment.

Daryl