Re: Gasket Techniques

To: "Tom Zuchowski" <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Gasket Techniques
From: Les Myer <lmyer@probe.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 23:10:50 -0400
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
That's the stuff - Permatex calls it Aviation Form-a-gasket #3H.  It's like
the ever-popular Permatex Form-a-gasket #2 (brown stuff in a tube), but has
more solvent in it, so it is a thinner consistency and spreads more easily
with the brush attached to the can lid.  It is not, repeat not the
"hi-tack" gasket adhesive found in all the stores.  GM also has their
version of the same stuff.

When a gasket manufacturer like Fel-pro calls for coating of both sides of
a gasket with sealer, they don't mean blue silicone.  When an explicit shop
manual tells you to use sealer part number xxx-yyy and gives you a photo
where to put it (yes, factory shop manuals can be that detailed) - they
don't mean substitute any silicone you happen to find on sale at the local
parts store and load it on.  For example, if silicone is used on a cork or
rubber valve cover gasket it is highly likely that two things will happen:

1)      The gasket will slip out of place on the slick silicone sealer as the
cover is tightened.
2)      The sealer will not adhere to the metal because the installer did not
get all of the oil off the parts

With the brown stuff, a little oil film does not seem to affect the seal as
the solvent in the brown stuff will mix with a little oil and still work.
With silicone, it either adheres and it is fine - never to be removed again
without bending the cover, or it doesn't adhere and it leaks badly.

General motors used to make to kinds of silicone sealer for applications
when they were using it in place of gaskets.  One was hi-temp and the other
was higher temp yet.  Blue silicone is a joke in comparison to either - I'm
not sure why it is so popular (except that it is about 1/3 the price of the
good stuff).

For me, the only place I use silicone is for sealing only water passages in
valley pan type all-metal intake gaskets, frost plug installation, front
seal installation, and in places where two gaskets meet (such as corners in
multi-piece intake gasket sets or pan gasket sets).  I buy the good stuff
and use on the tube for years - that's how much silicone I use.  I have
never understood why people like to try to stick their engines together
with excessive silicone.    I repaired one shade tree "rebuilt" engine that
had so much un-adhered silicone on the inside that it had accumulated on
the oil pickup screen and plugged it - scratch one engine - that extra
silicone cost him about $3.95 + $2500.00 in repairs.  I also have seen
silicone users repeatedly ruin oxygen sensors in late model cars by
silicone sealer vapors being sucked into the intake through the PCV system.
 Yes, I feel strongly about excessive and unnecessary silicone sealer
usage!  Brown stuff never ever caused such problems, seals well, and I use
it wherever possible.

Les